How Innovation Works
A list of necessary, if not always sufficient, steps for inventing something new and valuable:
- Obsess. Get an obsession with an idea/vision to the extent that you are physically uncomfortable if you don’t work on it.
- Research. Learn everything there is to learn about existing research/thinking related to the idea. In practice, this means learning as much as you can find and includes things that are even remotely related.
- Lose Sleep. Now get obsessed to the extent that you randomly wake up at night and start working.
- Prototype. Start creating prototypes. These could be anything from: mockups to designs to code.
- Seek feedback. Discuss your ideas, prototypes and challenges with the smartest people you can find. If you’re already working with a team of smart people, talk to people outside your team and organization
- Adjust. Be ready to be told you’re wrong. Listen to the arguments, adjust as necessary, but don’t abandon your idea.